oompa loompas are scary

As I am apt to do whenever there's nothing else to be done at work, I go see a movie upstairs. Today I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which I think is an excellent adaptation of the book, just as dark as Roald Dahl probably intended it to be, although there were bits and pieces added here and there that I found a little strange. I also oddly missed the songs from the old version, especially Pure Imagination (Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination...) and Candyman (The Candyman can 'cause he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good... heh, looks like it's karaoke time in here!), but that's okay. I would've probably just sung along anyway, embarrassing myself in the almost-empty theatre. There were only about five people when I watched; not enough to spread the word that I'm nuts like it isn't obvious yet, but enough for me to be embarrassed.
I thought Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka was a bit too Michael Jackson-like, as most people have said, but that doesn't bother me. It was just weird. But Willy Wonka really is off his rocker, so what's new?

What bothers me big time are the newly-evolved Oompa Loompas. Good God. They're effing scary, man! They're all like little Polynesian war chiefs, only they're Mini-Me sized. And in shiny, plastic jump suits. And they all look alike. And they dance and sing in Bollywood-like production numbers!
I have no words to describe the terror they strike into my black, black heart.
And because one picture isn't enough, here's one more:

This is the stuff nightmares are made of!



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home